Sunday, September 18, 2011

Saturday...


I had  a pretty great start to the weekend yesterday.  Matt is away in NH this weekend with friends, so I used the opportunity to get caught up on a few chores and things that have fallen by the wayside in the last few weeks.  I had an unfortunate encounter with my most feared household pest--the house centipede--while I was getting my cleaning supplies to scrub the bathtub.  I am not afraid of most bugs.  I even caught a wasp a few weeks ago and set it free out the window.  Not house centipedes, though.  They are so gross.  Anyway, I was very brave after my encounter and continued on with my cleaning.

I won't bore with stories about my cleaning except to endorse my two favorite cleaning products, ever.  First, I clean our hardwood floors with Method hardwood floor cleaner.  It smells like almonds and that alone makes me want to clean the floors every day.  In general, I use Method products whenever possible.  They always smell great and have a low toxicity rating.  Next, is a product introduced to me by my friend, Shannon, of Hello, my name is Quilt.  The product is Barkeeper's Friend Liquid Cleanser.  It will make your stainless steel shiny and new and even made our very old bathroom faucet look great.

After my cleaning, I took a walk downtown to the farmer's market.
Those red and pink flowers in the front were like velvet, totally gorgeous.
I didn't have a lot of cash on me, so I didn't buy a whole lot at the market.  I knew I wanted to get some yellow tomatoes to make soup this week.  As a general rule, I only like yellow and orange tomatoes.  Apparently they are lower in acid and are therefore sweeter.  I bought some orangey-yellow marbled beauties.
So many varieties of heirloom tomatoes.
This trip was dual purpose, since I was also walking to begin the process of breaking in my new moccasins!
Finally, new shoes!
I was advised to buy my usual size even though they felt a little snug.  I've been wearing them around the house with some thicker socks underneath so hopefully this was the right decision.  It was on the chilly side (compared to being 80 and humid on Monday) so I also stopped in Urban Outfitters and bought what I think is going to be my favorite fall sweater (in purple).  And, it was almost 50% off!  Score!

I went to the grocery store for the rest of our list for this week's dinner.  As I've mentioned multiple times, I love our co-op, but for some reason they never have cauliflower, brussel sprouts, or spaghetti squash.  So, I also stopped at Stop and Shop.  I hadn't intended to have a second cup of coffee, but there's a Starbucks inside of Stop and Shop!  It isn't my fault. 
At least I got a small?
For dinner, I made Fusili with Roasted Acorn squash and Bacon.  It was so delicious and very fitting for an autumn day.
From the farmer's market, sweet and delicious!

Bacon from our farm share.
Jenn and April came over for dinner, we enjoyed some Woodchuck Hard Cider, and watched one of my favorite movies of all time, Waitress.  Today, I plan to do some relaxing and start Hunger Games.


Today I am...
happy that:  it's sunny and I still have a whole day of weekend left!
less than happy that: can't think of anything!
daydreaming about: brewing some chai/ thai tea later.

Current reading:  Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
Next up: Catching Fire, by Suzanne Collins
Playing on the flute:  I did stop and look at some music yesterday, but I think I may need to revisit some of my old beginner stuff before getting into anything new.



No comments:

Post a Comment